Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day One: Joshua 5:13-15


Joshua 5:13-15

When Joshua was near the town of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with a sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and demanded, "Are you friend or foe?"

"Neither one," he replied, "I am the commander of the Lord's army."

At this Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence.

"I am at your command," Joshua said, "What do you want our servant to do?"

The commander of the Lord's army replied, "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy."

And Joshua did as he was told.

____________________________________

Ok so this is something that was talked about in church this morning by Pastor Mike at the Gathering. What's amazing is that he also talked about Joshua 1:8...the verse that sparked this whole challenge. God is good, he consistently confirms what he asks of us if we're aware enough to see it.

Anyways, so maybe this is cheating because this is something that Pastor Mike pointed out, but it really resinated with me and when I got home tonight I read it a few more times and this is what God showed me.

When Joshua went to the city, he saw a man with a sword. Of course is first thought was "Hey! Are you for me or against me?!" The man replied, "Neither! I'm the commander of the Lord's army!" -- And it hit me...We are always told that 'God is on our side...' and he is, because he loves us. BUT really, he's truly on our side when we CHOOSE him and join his side. Yes it sounds like I'm talking in circles, but really, think about it. You're a soldier, you're either in the Lord's army or the world's army. We shouldn't be asking God to get behind us as we battle, in all reality we should get behind God and ask him to LEAD us. When we come under God's authority and follow him, we're walking in his will and his plan...and therefore we'll be victorious! Doesn't mean it will be easy, but it will be right.

"At this Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence."


As soon as Joshua recognized the man as the leader of God's army he fell to his face in reverence. (Now this could have been a guest appearance by Jesus, but I'm not too sure, and there really isn't a way to know for sure...so keeping that in mind, we'll move on) DUH this was the leader of the guy that created everything's army! Do we show that much reverence to God? I don't. And for me to sit and say that I want to do things God's way, I want him to lead, but then I continue to try and control situations and live by my own ideas, I'm basically looking at God and saying "You can step aside, I'm going to lead now." How is that reverence? How is that walking in his will? It isn't.

Joshua asked as God's servant, what should he do. He was willing and ready to do whatever God asked of him. Not trying to lead but asking to follow. The commander asked Joshua to remove his sandals for the ground he was on was holy. Just as Joshua recognized the commander's authority and power, and removed his sandals, we should recognize God's power, authority, and deep love. Our actions should model absolute reverence for God. It's a form of showing respect, and though taking off our sandals may not be culturally the way we show it now days, recognizing the respect he deserves is just as important today as it was in  Joshua's time.

When we recognize God's power, we're reminded of his ability to do all things. All we have to do is submit to him and he will trudge ahead of us in battle.

One last thing that Pastor said this morning, made a lot of sense. When we decide to walk with Jesus all of our problems don't just go away, and our battles don't just disappear. What happens is we gain a commander to go ahead of us and walk us through our battles, leading every step of the way. All we have to do is humble ourselves enough to submit.

2 comments:

  1. Wow .. You have a voice, I always knew you did, but as your grow in wisdom and in HIM, it gets more profound. Thank you sweetheart. I LoVED this. I can tell you that submitting . .is one of the hardest lessons I have learned in my 'blue period' and now in my 'green period' as I am growing . . (referenced my blog . .hint hint) I can so see MANY examples of when God wants us to submit, even when it does not feel right but we must come under HIS authority. I love you - praying for you right now. YOU are the bomb . .you really are and I am blessed you call you daughter . .but even more to consider you a warrior for Christ and a daughter of the KING -- I am so proud of you. And I am not the only one that is proud . . . .hang in there, you are speaking volumes to the ones around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, God believes and esteems you greatly -- you are highly favored and so beautiful, inside and out. I love you , but God loves you MORE. -
    aka
    ma

    ReplyDelete